Want to keep your learning about disability going? Below you’ll find a round-up of resources on key topics that I cover in my presentations. Save this for reference and feel free to share with your colleagues and communities.
Think your team or group would benefit from me presenting live? I’d love to join you! Check out my speaking page for details on how to book me for a virtual or in-person event.
Want to stay connected? Get my monthly newsletter rolling straight to your inbox.
Looking for a deeper dive? My book can help you get started: Demystifying Disability: What to Know, What to Say, and How to be an Ally.
Helpful Starting Points
- Don’t be scared to talk about disabilities. Here’s what to know and what to say.
- Be your usual self: Tips on disability etiquette (Video)
- What is ableism?
Disability and Language
- Why Person-First Language Doesn’t Always Put the Person First
- 4 Disability Euphemisms That Need to Bite the Dust
- It’s Perfectly OK To Call A Disabled Person ‘Disabled,’ And Here’s Why
- Stella Young’s TED Talk: I’m not your inspiration, thank you very much
- Beyond Inspiration: A New Narrative
Communicating About Disability with Kids
- How To Talk To Your Kid About Disabilities
- It’s Okay To Say ‘Disabled’ And Other Truths About Approaching Disability With Respect
Disability Organizations to Learn From
- ADA National Network
- American Association of People with Disabilities
- Autistic Self Advocacy Network
- Autistic Women & Nonbinary Network
- Communication First
- Disability & Philanthropy Forum
- Disability Economic Justice Collaborative – The Century Foundation
- Disability Justice Initiative – Center for American Progress
- Kids Included Together
- Little Lobbyists
- National Center on Disability and Journalism
- Positive Exposure
- Self Advocates Becoming Empowered
- The Arc
- The Partnership for Inclusive Disaster Strategies
- Think Inclusive
- Women Enabled International